Our 3rd of 4 six-a-side tournaments was our annual visit to Castle Combe Colts FC.

The first two group games! well I don’t really know how to explain them. Was it because it was too early for MYFC to play effectively? Was it the ugly face of the old school MYFC 10min warm up period? Or after speaking to several players after these games had our latest season become more of a hindrance to us? A straight forward season with high scorelines had left a few obviously thinking they didn’t have to put the work in to win! At the moment I don’t know so I will gloss over those first two games. It’s not a case of what players we have on the pitch as with the same players we proved we can win big and lose big on the same day! Which makes it even harder to explain!

Our third group game was here and we needed to turn this around. Finally some leadership and pure determination in midfield following the consistant pre game spec of ‘fast attacking movement’ created a completely different MYFC team. Constant quick attacking pressure from MYFC was too much for the opposition to handle. At last we were playing 6-a-side football, fast, pressured, attacking football. This resulted in a big high scoring win for MYFC.

On to the fourth Group Game. It was a mirror image of the third. They continued as if it was still the third game. This was more like it and it was also making the first two games harder to explain! Another high scoring win for MYFC.

To stand any chance of making it through to the knock out stages we needed a win in our final group game. We were due to play the group leaders and were buzzing from the last two games, this one was going to be ours as well!

An excellent MYFC performance produced a great game.They were strong, organised and committed. We came away with a 0-0 draw, a great result.
Unfortunately this was not enough to take us out of the group stages but we finished the tournament looking like a team.

As goalkeepers never get as much praise as they deserve I will finish with one phrase – ‘SUPER KEEPER’.