The Eagles took on Lambourn at home on a damp Saturday morning. They’d drawn 1-1 with Lambourn just two weeks previously so it promised to be a good re-match.

Lambourn kicked off and immediately looked threatening. The Eagles took a while to get going and Angus had to make a couple of saves in the first few minutes. Lambourn then hit the post and the Eagles were having to defend against a series of attacks. Lambourn were playing well, getting to the ball first and playing a nice passing game and eventually they managed to take the lead with a firm shot that just evaded Angus. Shortly afterwards the defence were a bit slow to clear a loose ball and Lambourn scored a second and the match looked to be slipping away. This however seemed to inspire the Eagles to greater efforts and they also began to pass more effectively on a slow pitch. Ethan played a lovely ball through to Ben who took it down the left wing before crossing firmly into the box. Alfie was on hand to slot the ball in and all of a sudden the Eagles were back in it. Just to prove it wasn’t a fluke they played the same move again shortly afterwards and Alfie again finished to put them level. It was 2-2 and the match was now wide open. Just before half time Angus put in a great save, tipping a long range shot against the bar and, at the other end Ollie H shot just wide after another good cross from Ben, it was frantic stuff.

The second half was equally exciting. Toby was now in goal and soon had to put in a good save from a long range free kick. Gabriel was doing a great job in defence but Lambourn were running well and a nice through ball had their striker competing with Toby for the ball – Toby got a bit more of the man than the ball and the subsequent penalty saw Lambourn 3-2 up. Another good fast attack saw them attacking in numbers, leading to a simple tap in for a goal, 4-2. All of a sudden the Lambourn defence were guilty of some indecision and James struck the ball into the net, 4-3 and once again the Eagles were back in contention. Both teams were now putting in maximum effort. Patrick and Callum showed great energy, chasing everything. Charlie, Ethan and Angus were battling hard and Alfie was searching for his hat trick. Gabriel was defending with great skill and Ben always looked threatening down the left flank. The pitch was slow and favoured a firm passing game and Lambourn adapted well to the pace of the surface. Another good move saw 3 of their players against 1 and the subsequent goal put the game beyond reach at 6-3.

The final whistle blew with the score unchanged, but not before Ben had tested their keeper with another good attempt on goal.

It had been an exciting match, with lots of chances for both teams. Both sides could easily have scored another 2 or 3 goals but the Eagles showed great character by fighting their way back into the game on a number of occasions and giving Lambourn a lot of problems.

Phil Cavey