A chilly Sunday morning at Ashton Keynes saw the boys wrapped up warm at the start of the match and the team took a while to get going. The first attack from Ashton Keynes saw their talented striker beat the defenders and score the opener. Shortly afterwards he again walked through a tentative defence to put Ashton 2-0 up, with only around 10 minutes gone.

Fortunately the boys started to get going and they started to get into the match. A nice corner from Ben and the ball came loose to Ethan in the 6 yard box. In the ensuing scramble he managed to get the ball over the line and the Eagles were back to 2-1. Ben then showed some nice skill to get the ball to Jamie who waltzed around one defender before hitting the ball with the outside of the foot to put the Eagles level.
The momentum had shifted now and the Eagles were constantly on the attack. Ben shot just wide before having a nice left foot shot saved by the keeper. Jamie then came close again and the trio of Ben, James and Jamie were looking threatening.

Charlie H was doing a good job organising the defence, with Scott and Patrick battling hard – Ashton were catching them on the break though and looked dangerous on the ball. Charlie H put in a number of good clearances whilst Scott ran hard to cover a speedy Ashton winger. Patrick was his usual determined self, battling for the ball with energy. Kyle arrived and immediately helped with some well-timed tackles and calm defensive play – his extra reach and ability to head the ball was very useful.
Callum played a great ball to Jamie but his shot just cleared the bar. Jamie came close again, finding the side netting, before the whistle went for half time. It was 2-2 but the Eagles dominated the last 10 minutes and it looked positive.

Again, though, it was Ashton who started the second half on the attack. A good corner, the ball loose in the box and Ashton were ahead again 3-2 and the Eagles had work to do again. The Ashton attack had some pace and a couple of good players and they looked dangerous every time they went forward. Patrick did a fantastic job in goal, making a number of brave saves and dominating the penalty area, even coming decisively out of the area on occasion to clear away dangerous through balls.

James then scored a lovely goal to draw the teams level. He collected the ball just inside the Eagles half before rounding a defender and simply beating the Ashton defence for pace. He ran half the length of the pitch with the ball before slotting it into the corner of the net. 3-3 and it was exciting stuff.

Ashton then missed a great opportunity with virtually an open goal beckoning, Patrick made more good saves, Charlie E came close with a couple of firm strikes, Ben G was nearly through on goal, Callum hit the post and then that was it, the full time whistle and the match ended in a draw. It had been an entertaining match with a host of chances for both teams. The Eagles had had the better of the play and created more opportunities but Ashton had fought well, defending in numbers and attacking with skill. On another day there would probably have been a lot more goals but 3-3 was a good comeback having been 0-2 down at the start.

Match Reporter: Phil